About Physical Education
Why is physical education important?
Physical education programs increase:
- Physical competence
- Health-related fitness
Enjoyment of physical activity for all students so that they can be physically active for a lifetime, and active kids do better:
- They perform better academically.
- They have better attendance.
- Their behavior improves.
- They have higher self-esteem.
And yet . . .
- Only six states require physical education in every grade.
- Only 20 percent of school districts require daily recess.
- Fewer than half of all children and adolescents are regularly physically active.